Kelwin 2, Ireland
Kelwin 2, Ireland
O’Shea Electrical Limited
Kelwin 2 BESS Project
Substations and Renewables
Electrical Services and Instrumentation, HV/MV Services, and Off-Site Manufacturing
Kirby was awarded the EPC contract of a 26.6MWh battery storage project connected to the grid at 33kV voltage.
Under the contract awarded Kirby responsibilities included the design, procurement, installation of the electrical balance of plant works (EBoP) including civil works, supply and install of electrical services including Packaged Electrical Substation and the installation and works associated with all free issue plant.
The BESS site is parallel to an existing tail fed 110kV windfarm substation with the compound being extended to accommodate the new BESS equipment.
The Packaged Electrical Container (PEC) was constructed modularly off site and delivered upon completion.
SCOPE OF WORKS
Kirby was responsible for the electrical scope of works.
- Primary Equipment Distribution Connection
- All Civil Works for the Battery Equipment
- Control & Protection System associated with the EBoP works
- MV Cable Connection System
- Fibre Network loop between BESS cores and the PEC
- BESS Plant LV Connections
- Backup DC Supplies for the Switchgear/ PEC
- Supply and install of the Standby Generator
- General & Emergency Lighting & Small Power within the PEC
- Commissioning of Electrical Plant & Equipment
- Fire Detection & Alarm within the PEC
- SCADA (Provision of RTAC’s & DTAC’s only)
- Bund Pumps
Installed plant items included 2,440 no. individual batteries installed into pre-ﬁtted battery racks, LVAC distribution board and DC distribution boards within the PEC, control and protection panels and cabling, assembly of 33kV switchgear, installation and connections to 4 # free issue Battery Containers, 13 no. free issue 33kV transformers and 12 no. free issue 3MVA Invertors.